Monday, August 29, 2011

Mesa Del Sol Golf Course (Yuma, Arizona)




Today, I had my first out of Phoenix/Tuscon golf experience in Arizona as I played Mesa Del Sol Golf Course just outside of Yuma, Arizona. I did not, and still do not know much about golf in Yuma and only found this course through a couple online searches. Even though it is the end of August, I was disappointed in the course conditions, but still enjoyed myself on this day.


Course: Mesa Del Sol Golf Course

Location: 12213 E. Calle del. Cid., Yuma, Arizona

Course: Public, 18 holes

Designer: Arnold Palmer

Website: www.mesadelsolgolf.com

Tees: 4 sets of tees from 6767 yards to 5292 yards

Practice Facility: Small driving range and practice chipping/putting green.

Review:.

Positives: Mesa Del Sol had a variety of holes that had water come into play on many of them. The back nine has a stretch of doglegs that force the player to work the ball both ways to get the best scoring opportunities. The pace of play was excellent as I did not wait on a single shot. The pro shop had a good selection of drinks and snacks. The best part of the course for me was when a man offered me a free Bud Light after I stuck a shot on the 6th hole. Don't see that too much in Phoenix!


Negatives: There must be a disclaimer. The day before I played this course I played Troon North Pinnacle, one of the best courses in the state. So my observations may be a bit skewed, but this course did not live up to its website or the $18 green fee. The course condition was not what should be expected when paying a play a course. The grass on the back tees was so long that have to move up a tee just to play. The greens were very shaggy and slow, and looked as if they had not been moved in at least a week. There were many bear areas of the course where no grass could grow any time of the year.

Favorite Hole: No. 10, 432 Par 4

No. 10 is a downhill right to left par 4 that starts off your back side. There is a wide fairway to hit followed by an elevated green. The player must get good distance on their drive in order to attack the pin and have a chance at birdie or par.

Recommended For: Beginners to mid handicaps, but not anyone that is looking for desert golf.


Overall: Mesa Del Sol did not meet my expectations for Yuma golf. I was looking for the best non-private course to play, and I was extremely disappointed with what I found. Next time I come through Yuma, I will likely try a new golf course.


Tell me, what do you think of Mesa Del Sol Golf Course?

1 comment:

  1. Just browsing for some pictures of Mesa del Sol and stumbled across your review. I agree, the grass was soooo long in so many areas, I hated to golf there. It is under new ownership AND management now, and I hear the conditions of the course have majorly improved, so you may want to give it another chance if you head back towards Yuma.. other courses that are popular here are Las Barrancas, definitely an interesting course in the middle of desert terrain, and Desert Hills, which is a pretty average course, but well maintained.

    ReplyDelete